Hunting & Fishing for Stories & Photos


Monday, November 19, 2012

Gear Review - Hunting GPS Maps


If you read my previous post, you know that my old GPS is so outdated that I don't even own a computer that I can plug it into anymore. It was definitely time for an upgrade. After much research, I chose the Garmin GPSMAP 62st, which includes 1:100k maps for all of the U.S.

I then added the Hunting GPS Maps Colorado chip that shows all land ownership and 1:24k topography in the state. The maps are state-specific and are available for 21 different states including all of the West.

I was rediculously impressed by the Hunting GPS Maps. On my friend Rick's elk hunt, we had to be aware of both private land and a national monument. On multiple occasions, we could have trespassed, but didn't because of the accuracy of Hunting GPS Maps. Without it, we would have used paper maps to determine our location, but it would have taken much longer and we couldn't have been as precise.

In the end, the Hunting GPS Maps prevented Rick from shooting an elk because we knew he was on the monument. There were no fences and no signs, but the map was clear. Rick wisely chose not to shoot and just let two awesome bulls walk. I am ridiculously proud of him for his decision, and like he said, "It's my responsibility to know where I am." Hunting GPS Maps enabled him to do that perfectly.

If you hunt anywhere near private land or other property where access is restricted, I highly suggest you get one of the state chips from Hunting GPS Maps. They are easy to use, the 1:24k maps are very precise, and they will help you stay safe and legal.