Hunting & Fishing for Stories & Photos


Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Gear Review - SWAROVSKI OPTIK EL RANGE



Disclaimer: I am biased about this product because I work for SWAROVSKI OPTIK.

However, I have used rangefinding binoculars from the other high-end optics companies, and I will explain to you as objectively as possible why I like the EL RANGE.

First, the EL RANGE is the brightest rangefinding binocular available, and let's face it, you're going to use this as a binocular far more than as a rangefinder. The superior light transmission provides better contrast, clarity, and overall image quality.

Second, the ergonomics are awesome, and although the humps on the bottom that house the electronics look a little funny, they are quite comfortable in your hands. The open-bridge design of the EL line of binoculars just "fits" your hand most comfortably. Right-handed archers might complain that the button is on the wrong side, but I have found it very easy to use one-handed.

Third, the rangefinder fits my needs much better than that of the other companies. I don't need any complicated holdover program or display; I can tape that info to my rifle. What I need is consistent ranges with angle compensation at the longest distances possible. The EL RANGE is rated to 1500 yards, but the farthest reading I have gotten is 2177 yards (that's 1.23 miles!) on a tree in the mountains of Colorado. The angle compensation feature displays not only the straight-line distance to the target, but also the angle-compensated distance out to 1000 yards. Archers might also complain about the minimum distance of 33 yards, but with today's compound bows, just hold your 30-yard pin a little low and shoot!

The EL RANGE comes in both a 10x42 model and an 8x42. I have used both extensively, and am surprised to find that I don't see much difference between the two. They are both the same size/weight so the only difference is the magnification. The 10x42 has been very hard to come by this year, but the 8x42 is quite easy to find. If you can get away with an 8x binocular or are debating between the two, I suggest you get the 8x because it is available from most dealers.

If you are looking for a rangefinding binocular with superior optics, and the easiest to use range finding features, take a look at the SWAROVSKI OPTIK EL RANGE. You won't be disappointed!

The first sheep taken with the help of the SWAROVSKI OPTIK EL RANGE: my brother's desert bighorn.