Hunting & Fishing for Stories & Photos


Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Gear Review: Christensen Arms

A few years ago I completed a rifle project. Originally, I had a Winchester Model 70 in .300 WIN with the BOSS system and a Ruger M77 .25-06. Each was long and heavy and I wanted to replace them with lightweight rifles. In addition, I wanted two rifles chambered in calibers adequate for taking elk at reasonable hunting ranges so when my wife and I hunted together we would each have a rifle.

My quest led me to Christensen Arms. They use a unique process to lighten rifles by removing much of the steel from the outside of the barrel and replacing it with many layers of carbon fiber. The carbon fiber is stronger, stiffer, and lighter than steel. After visiting their facility and talking over my plans with John Mogle, I decided to let them apply their barrel treatment to my Model 70, and then ordered what they now call their Carbon One Extreme in .270 WSM. After getting back my Model 70, I sent it off to Bell & Carlson for a custom stock.

Both rifles shoot great and are a joy to carry. They each feel a little different in my hands but the Bell & Carlson stock on the .300 and the Christensen stock on the .270 compliment each rifle perfectly. Since getting the rifles, I have hunted more with the .270 than the .300, but have been very successful with both. The one time my wife an I hunted together was in Kansas—she carried the .270 and shot her first deer, and then minutes later I used the .300 on great 9-point whitetail.

If you are looking for a quality rifle that is lightweight, easy to shoot, and easy to carry, check out Christensen Arms. In addition to their awesome bolt-action rifles, they also now make lightweight AR-15s and a 1911 pistol.


Christensen Arms Carbon One Extreme .270 WSM - WY Mule Deer


Christensen Arms Carbon One Extreme .270 WSM - NM Antelope


Christensen Arms Barrel Wrap and Bell & Carlson Stock .300 WIN - CO Mule Deer


Christensen Arms Carbon One Extreme .270 WSM - AZ WMAT Black Bear


Christensen Arms Barrel Wrap and Bell & Carlson Stock .300 WIN - KS Whitetail


Christensen Arms Carbon One Extreme .270 WSM - KS Whitetail (Nichole's first deer!)